A lot of people are intimidated to travel to Japan because of the needed visa application along with its requirements. However, based from my experience, it’s quite easy and fast (2.5-5 days). It’s definitely one of the easiest visa applications you’ll ever have given that Japan is trying to increase its tourism- easier visa application translates to more tourists for them. I’ve had 2 Japan visa grants so far ( first is single entry, then second visa is multiple entry for 5 years), that I was able to use during my last 4 Japan vacations (Winter Feb 2014, Autumn Nov 2014, Autumn Oct 2015, Autumn Nov 2015, April 2016), and I’m going to share my experiences with all of you to ensure that you can also have a smooth and fast Japan Tourist Visa application.
Japan Tourist Visa application is routed via a list of its accredited agencies. Please take note that if the agency is not here, then it might be that they are just middle agencies who will then pass your applications to this list below. I highly recommend that you go directly with the following agencies below to avoid extra charges or even scams from unauthorized travel groups. They will not overcharge you and will even pre-check your requirements before submitting it to the embassy.
List of Accredited Agencies by Japan Embassy to accept any kind of Japan Visa Application. You may also check the full details here.
1.) UHI – http://www.universalholidays.com
Address: Mezzanine Floor Dusit Thani Manila Hotel Ayala Center 1223 Makati City
Contact Number: 02-859-3857 / 02-859-3858
2.) Discovery Tour Inc. – http://discoverytour.ph/japanvisatour
Address: Manila: Unit301G/Floor Sagittarius Building,H.V.Dela Costa Street,Salcedo Village,Makati City / Cebu: G/Floor Casinillo Buiding,Pajo,Airport Road,Lapu-Lapu City. / Davao: Door 3 L＆R Building, Tulip Drive, Juna Subdivision Matina, Davao City
Contact Number: 02-892-2849 /032-341-1923 / 082-285-7188
3.) Rajah Travel Corporation – http://www.rajahtravel.com
Address: 3/F Gercon Plaza 7901 Makati Avenue Makati City /Ground Flr., GLC Bldg., A. Mabini cor. T.M. Kalaw St. Ermita, Manila
Contact Number: 02-8940886 / 02-523-8801 to 07
4.) Reli Tours and Travel Agency – http://www.relitours.ph
Address: Mezannine Floor,Dusit Thani Hotel,Ayala Center,Makati City / South Entrance,SM Department Store SM Mall of Asia, Bay City, Pasay City / 5th Flr., Bridge way, SM MEGAMALL, EDSA, Mandaluyoung City / Basement Level,Door2,SM SOUTHMALL Alabang Zapote Rood,Laspinas City
Contact Number: 02-556-1447 / 0906-513-6222
5.) Attic Tours Phils Inc. – http://www.attictours.asia
Address: Unit 202 Coko Bldg.1,Patio Madrigal Compound,2550 Roxas Blvd.,Pasay City 1302 / Ground Floor,Traders Hotel Manila,3001 Roxas Blvd.,PsayCity 1305 / Cebu: Lobby,Waterfront Airport Hotel 1 Airport Road,Lapu-lapu City,Mactan Island,Cebu
Contact Number: 02-556-6301 to 6305 / 032-341-2299
6.) Friendship Tours and Resorts Corporation – http://www.friendshipmanila.com
Address: 3rd. Fllr., Dusit Thani Manila, Ayala Center, Makati City / Unit 101 Bldg. 1, Oakridge Business Park, 880 A.S. Fortuna St., Banilad, Mandaue City
Contact Number: 02-810-9622 / 02-893-8180 / 032-345-3459
For all of our Japan visa applications (my family, boyfriend, and myself), we routed it via Friendship Tours. Reasons are (a)they have really good reviews in an online forum, plus (b) it is very accessible – a stone throw away from Glorietta/SM Makati. So far, I can really attest to that since all of our applications went well and were delivered really quick, the shortest was 2.5 days. Their tourist visa handling fee is 1200 pesos (it is handling since Japan embassy itself doesn’t require payment, but the fee is for the processing and handling that the agencies are doing for the clients). Other accredited agencies might ask for the same or slightly different price depending upon their current promotions.
Now, for the requirements, please refer to the following: (based from Friendship tours’ website since this was my basis during my past 2 applications, plus some of my personal comments, and both were granted easily).
- Validity of more than 6 months / Signed Passport
- Broken lamination of the Picture Portion will not be accepted / Must have at least 2 blank pages left in the passport.
2.VISA APPLICATION FORM
- Available at the embassy website, or from the accredited agencies.
- Make sure that all fields are filled up, no missing fields & signatures.If the item is not applicable, please put N/A.
- Dane’s Note: You can get it here (click here) just print, then fill it up.
3.PHOTO (1 Copy of 4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background.)
- Dane’s Note: Remember to tell the photographer that this will be for Japan embassy.
- Photo must be taken within the last 6 months.
- Please write applicant’s name and birthdate at the back of the photo.
4.BIRTH CERTIFICATE (NSO issued with receipt and valid within (1)year.)
(Submission of NSO certificate is waived with submission of OLD USED JAPAN VISA.) Note: Receipt is also required so make sure to submit it as well
Applicants holding (old or valid) passports with used Japan Visa will be exempted from submitting of birth certificate.
- IN CASE OF NON-RECORD OF REGISTRATION OF LIVE BIRTH
- Non-Record in the NSO. Need certificate of Non-Record from the NSO and BIRTH CERTIFICATEfrom the LOCAL CIVIL REGISTRAR.
- Non-Record in the NSO and LOCAL CIVIL REGISTRAR. Need certificate of Non-Record from the NSO�@and the LOCAL CIVIL REGISTRAR.
- IF NSO ISSUED RECORD IS NOT CLEAR
- BIRTH CERTIFICATE from the LOCAL CIVIL REGISTRAR.
- IF BIRTH CERTIFICATE IS LATE-REGISTRATION
- Birth Certificate from the LOCAL CIVIL REGISTRAR.
- Original Baptismal Certificate, School Record (Form 137 or report card) School Year Book.
(Need contact tel # of the church,and contact tel# of the school)
5.MARRIAGE CONTRACT (If Married) NSO issued and valid within (1)year.
(Submission of NSO certificate is wived withsubmission of OLD USED JAPAN VISA.)
Applicants holding (old or valid) passports with used Japan Visa will be exempted from submitting of marriage contract.
- Incase of non-record.You must submit certificate of non-record together with the one from local civil registrar.
6. DAILY SCHEDULE INJAPAN (TAIZAI YOTEIHYO)
- Prepared by the applicant or the travel agency.
- Dane’s Note: You can use the format suggested by Friendship tours here.
- Dane’s Note: Please refer to the screenshot below for the sample itinerary we recently used. No need for very detailed itinerary, just give them an idea on the highlight destination of your day.
7.BANK BALANCE CERTIFICATE
- Dane’s Note: No minimum amount specified, but based from my personal experience, an amount of around 50,000 should be enough. Remember, their main purpose of getting this is to check if you have sufficient funds to cover your trip and will not run out of money when you’re in Japan already.
- Dane’s Note: Bank Certificate doesn’t show your history, even daily or monthly balance. It just shows your current balance as of the time that you applied for it. This has a fee as well ( 100 php for BPI).
- Should be within the last 3 months.
8.INCOME TAX RETURN (Form 2316 or 1701) Original and (1) photocopy.
- Dane’s Note: If you don’t have your latest ITR, just submit your most recent ITR, and just provide an explanation letter why you don’t have the latest one (i.e. the latest copy is not yet released etc).
- Dane’s Note: This is not really mentioned in the embassy nor in the website of accredited agencies, but you can always add these documents for extra credentials: Certificate of Employment (COE), better if it has salary details- to serve as a proof of your source of funds and reason to go back to Philippines, Flight itinerary (if you have already booked your flights), Hotel/Hostel itinerary (if you already booked your accommodation), and Certificate of Enrollment for Students.
- Dane’s Note: For applicants who doesn’t have a job, business, and bank accounts, you would need to provide an Affidavit of Support from the person who will fund your trip.
After completing the requirements, just go to your chosen accredited Agency for Japan Visa and submit your application. Make sure to call them first to check their operating hours.
Finally, just remember the golden rule when applying for visa to any country: As long as you have complete and legal documents, you have nothing to worry about 🙂 If you have any questions, feel free to post a comment below ( I may not be able to answer your individual DMs, so a comment is better). Cheers and enjoy your upcoming travel to Japan!
Read more about my Budget Travel Osaka Adventure:
- Part 1- Japan Travel like a Ninja for only 12,000 pesos – Personal Tips and Notes
- Part 2- Day 1-Japan Travel Like a Ninja for only 12,000 pesos – Arashiyama Bamboo Groves, Tenryu-Ji Temple, and Umeda Sky Building
- Part 3- Day 2-Japan Travel Like a Ninja for only 12,000 pesos – Osaka castle, Tenma, Pokemon Center Osaka, Dotonbori
- Part 4- Day 3-Japan Travel Like a Ninja for only 12,000 pesos – Kyoto, Kinkakuji Temple, Botanical Garden, Osaka Castle, Denden Town
- Part 5- Day 4-Japan Travel Like a Ninja for only 12,000 pesos -Namba, Dotonbori, Ichiran,Shinsaibashi
- Part 6-Japan Travel Like a Ninja for only 12,000 pesos-Itinerary and Budget
- Japan Travel in a Budget:Osaka-Nikko-Kyoto-Tokyo Autumn Highlights
- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – Universal Studios Japan Experience
- How to Apply for Japan Tourist Visa
Tokyo/Kanto Budget Travel posts:
- Hitachi Seaside Park – Japan’s Best Autumn Spot
- Chureito Pagoda, Shimo-yoshida- Great View of Mt. Fuji
Going to Japan soon but don’t know where to start? Try to avail of my customized budget itinerary to learn and be able to tour Japan alone! Just click here.